Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Welcome to the real world

Today was a big day for Mason -- and all of us really -- as he had his first day of preschool! He's attending Central Park East II on the Upper East Side, where we're oh-so-glad to have landed a spot. Turns out even public Pre-K spots (at good schools!) are difficult to come by in this city!

So, bright and early we headed off this morning -- the whole family -- to his first day. Mason was rockin' his new New York Yankees' backpack, which is almost as big as he is. He got a little lift from Dad-O on the way there.



Piper rocked her apple shirt/skirt combo, if only because it seemed fitting for a first-day-of-school sort of thing!


When we arrived at the school, we found Mason's class lined up in the big school yard and waited (nervously, for Mommy) for the big moment when we'd head inside to the classroom. We also managed to squeeze in a family picture.



We headed upstairs to his classroom and helped him find his name on his cubby and unload his backpack, then it was time to say goodbye. Mason handled it the best of all of us, I think. He looked at me and said "See ya later, Mom!" I practically had to beg for a hug and a kiss ... then leave before I started tearing up! Rob gave him one big squeeze and then we reluctantly headed out and hit up the new-parent breakfast down the hall.

Three hours later, Piper and I were back to pick him up and take him out for a special lunch at McDonald's. The first thing he said to me was "I loved school, Mommy! Thanks for telling me about it!"

Oh, kid, if you only knew. I'll have to remind him of that in a few years and often after that, to be sure!

0 comments:

Post a Comment